Monday, September 7, 2009

Orphanage


The orphanage that Shanti has been living in has 52 children. It was relatively quiet and not chaotic at all. I don’t know if that is a good sign or a bad sign. I would have guessed maybe 16-20 children. About 5 are 2 and under, maybe another 6-8 are ages 3-5, and the rest school age. One adorable 5 year old appears to have some sort of genetic disorder – a little like achondroplasia (abnormal bone development). None the less he is the friendliest little guy appears developmentally on track– I do hope he finds a family.


Shanti's crib that she shares with at least one other child


The dining room.









The children appear well cared for, although it appears that a lot of the care of the younger ones falls on the older girls. The home is strict vegetarian, and Hinduism plays a major role on the children’s lives. The upper level has a prominent shrine, with many pictures of Sathya Sai Baba – a charismatic hindi leader.




The orphanage is run by a couple in their late 40’s – early 50’s and they live in the house with the children. It appears that there are minimal records kept on the children, and no photographs of their time in the orphanage.

7 comments:

Pebble to Stone said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I look forward eagerly to checking your blog each night before bed, and devour each post - taking in all of the details and pouring over the pictures! I am SO happy that you are there, and finally with Shanti. (Thank you for making this real for all those of us who hope to be in your shoes one day.)
Enjoy every moment of it - and know that there are many of us wishing you well. What a miracle. Namaste!

yolo said...

My sentiments exactly! Every morning I pour my cup of coffee and anxiously check your blog; it certainly makes things seem real for those of waiting. Today, seeing the photos of the orphanage and other children melts my heart! Here's hoping things continue to move swiftly and the children find the families they so very much deserve. Thanks again for sharing your journey.

Nepalmamma said...

From the buttom of our hearts - TANK YOU, TANK YOU for sharing Teryl!
Your post here on the blogg and your mail really gives us hope and makes it so real for us!
Now we finally can belive it is truely going to happen some day (soon we hope)!
Blessings to you and your family!
Namaste!
Magdalena & Ola from Sweden

Lu An - Italy said...

Namaste Teryl, J and Shanti
thank you very much for the photos and the time you spend for us.
We see all beautiful children!!!!
Did you meet the 3 French families that are in Katmandu now?
Joifull time for your family.
LuAn

Amy said...

I too wanted to express my gratitude to you for sharing with us. Your updates are now my favorite part of my morning routine! It does help this all feel more real for those of us who hope to follow. Blessings!

Lynn K said...

Your blog had become central to my day. Thank you so much for sharing. Shanti is beautiful, adorable! Thank you also for all the details about the orphanage and children.
We are so, so happy for you and little Shanti.
Lynn

Shawn said...

Teryl,
Its so exciting to see your blog and the beautiful Shanti. I am currently in Kathmandu volunteering at an orphanage and have been following your progress on Adopt Nepal. My husband and I live in San Francisco and are slated to adopt from Nepal in 2010. I decided to deal with the wait by coming here to learn more about the culture and people. I just happened to arrive when things started happening. It so great to be here knowing that you are here -this is a big step for all of us that are waiting. Best of luck to you. Maybe we'll meet on the street! Best Regards,Shawn Connolly