Saturday, September 5, 2009

In my arms


Today I got to hold Shanti in my arms. Her orphanage director brought her to our hotel for a visit here. She fell asleep on the way here to awaken to the entirely foreign surroundings of our hotel room. Poor thing was so frightened. She clung to me as if I was her life boat in an angry sea. She cried any time I tried to put her down or have my husband take her, not a wailing cry, a sweet frightened cry. She warmed up after an offering of a banana. She seemed to enjoy playing with the sensory balls I had brought for her (bright air filled balls with bumps all over them). But what she really liked was the keys to the hotel room and the TV remote. What is it that universally attracts kids to remote controls?

After several hours, we went with her back to the orphanage, she was so happy to see her didi (the women who normally cares for her) and immediately brightened and reached out for her. Once in her didi’s arms she turned back to me and dismissed me by waving goodbye, making it clear that she was happy to be back in her familiar surroundings, in her familiar arms and I could go now. I wish I could make this transition easier for her. Her life as she knows it is about to change so much.

Afterward we went to the bluebird market to get supplies we hadn’t remembered to bring with us, then met with the other two families from our agency, our program director and our Nepal representative for dinner at a traditional Nepalese restaurant. It was a good venue to relax and talk about our common experiences and what is to come. The food was good, varied with a mix of tastes that were unique. The only thing I really didn’t care for was the tea, it was earthy slightly buttery and brought back strong memories of our recent visit with the boys to the petting zoo at the State Fair. I think I just experienced yak butter tea.

Tomorrow I get to hold her again.

8 comments:

V and M said...

She's beautiful! I hope the trip goes smoothly and the paperwork filled out as quick as Nepal is able so you can start to bond with your sweet little girl. Thank you for blogging. Let's hope more families receive referrals soon!

Pebble to Stone said...

This is SO beautiful. My tears fill every time I read your blog on meeting/holding Shanti. May your time in Nepal be wonderful - and your trip home safe! It's very thoughtful of you to keep everyone informed.
Namaste.
Anne
http://pebbletostone.blogspot.com/

Doug and Jen said...

Wow - this is such a precious picture! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Kate said...

What a beautiful picture! She fits in your arms so perfectly. Wow! You look so relaxed. Shanti looks like a deep, thoughtful child. So brave. So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

she looks perfect there!

Renata said...

Teryl, Shanti is the cutest sweetest girl. Reading your blog makes it easier for us all to hold on. Thank you! Renata

shelle41 said...

Hi guys... We all just huddled around my computer screen and saw your baby Shanti. She is beautiful and you guys look so happy. You two are amazing people with huge hearts. You baby girl will be loved!!! Be safe on the way home.... Shelle and the DOC girls

Eve said...

Ha ha - love the comment about the tea. I felt I could taste it with that description (yuck).