Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Changing Money



When we travel we usually don’t take a lot of cash with us. We bring just enough to get us through for 4 days or so and maybe an extra $100 for an emergency reserve. In just about every country I’ve been in you can use your bank card if it is part of the PLUS or CIRRUS network and the exchange rate is usually better than what you can get exchanging money in the country (this probably depends on your contract with your bank).

I say ‘just’ about every country, because I did have one uncomfortable week in Ecuador when I had $25 to my name only to discover that at that time the banks in Ecuador did not take PLUS any longer. But there’s always cash advances on your credit card, or western union if you get desperate.

Nepal does have PLUS ATM’s, or at least they say they’re PLUS, but after you enter your info, the ATM won’t complete the transaction. However, in my experience, it’s always useful to keep trying ATMs at other banks because sometimes you’ll find one….probably the only one in the whole city…that works. That’s where we were…no functioning ATM’s in all of Kathmandu….until last night.

We were wandering the market on the way to Durbar square looking for some clothes to buy the children at the orphanage when J excitedly tells me he has found one that works (Himalayan Bank ATM at the spice market). I had pretty much given up on ATMs in Kathmandu and was planning on doing a cash advance on our Visa in the morning. Quickly I went to try it out and enter my card and passcode……whirr…shuffle…...click “please take your cash below”. I’m now thrilled because I’ve found an ATM within walking distance that we can use to directly withdraw from our bank in the US. I quickly count the money, 15000 rupee (about $200). At about 12000 rupee, I hear a different, yet familiar, whirr and click. I stop counting the rupee to glance down at the ATM. Oh CRAP! It just ate my card. Frantically, I push every button I can find. “Your card has been recalled as it was not taken within the time limit (8 seconds). Please contact your home bank for retrieval” MY HOME BANK! MY HOME BANK! I yell at the machine….DON’T YOU REALIZE MY HOME BANK IS 12,000 MILES AWAY? The ATM calmly continues to display its message, then with a blink, dismisses me back to the screen that welcomes me to the Himalayan Bank.

So the good news is; there are functioning PLUS ATM’s in Kathmandu (at least one at the spice market). The bad news is you can’t use them if your bank card in on its way back to the US.

Remember: Get your bank card back in your hand before you count your money.

5 comments:

marianne said...

Geez- I would have been in a bad way .

Are any other families scheduled to travel to KTM before you get home? Maybe someone in your family at home in the US could fed-X or over night mail them another credit card or cash to take to you.

Fed x at home works fine, Fed X from the US to KTM takes a long time.

Bank transfers take 1 or 2 days but you will need to set up a bank account to transfer money into and it cost around $30 to transfer money to KTM.

I used my C card for everything in KTM. I think my hotel bill at the Y&Y was around $10,000 by the time I left and I used a credit card(I was there a while). The ATM on New Road on the way to Thamel tended to work OK as I remember.

Also remember, don't use the hotel phone. Always email , calling is very, very expensive.

Lisa Buckshaw said...

I am soooo sorry!!!!

But...at least I will know which one to go to when I finally make my trip!!!

Anonymous said...

I would call that bank which ate your card and make sure the card is safe and secure. Even if they (likely) won't give your card back to you, at least you want to make sure it isn't being (ab)used by someone from the inside. Be careful not to be a victim of identity and other thefts. Sorry for being overly paranoid !

teryl said...

Amazingly, we called the bank the following day and within the hour they sent not one but three bank employees out to the ATM. We met them there, and they simply unlocked the machine and gave me my card...

Eve said...

I liked hearing the postscript to that story - so, it did not shred it, but just kept it. Whew! Also interesting getting it back was so "easy". Lucky you.